At the beginning of 2018, the parish of Weiz received a certificate from the Vatican, confirming that the pilgrimage church on the Weizberg had been declared a basilica minor. This made the Basilica on the Weizberg the fifth basilica within the diocese of Graz-Seckau to have been honoured with the title, which can only be obtained by church buildings of significance with sufficient facilities and staff levels for a model celebration of the new liturgy and frequent sermons and confessions.

    A historic building above the Weiz rooftops

    The first church is said to have been built on the Weizberg in 1065. The foundation was laid for today’s High Baroque church in 1757, which was completed in just two years. Its impressive dome sits at a height of 21 m. The frescos were created by court painter Josef Adam Ritter von Mölck, who chose the church year’s five major Virgin Mary festivals for the ceiling paintings. The high altar with the Virgin Mary cradling the dead body of Jesus (Pietà) – a sacred image from the early 15th century – was created by artist Veit Königer (1771). The pulpit that was completed in 1775 and the side altars are works by Jakob Peyers. The stone relief on the outdoor staircase presumably shows the original parish church and a part of old Weiz with the tabor and Thannhausen Castle. The monument of Aquilinus Julius Caesar, father of Styrian historiography, is to be found on the southern walls of the church. He spent the last years of his life on the Weizberg.

    Contact

    Tourismus- und Stadtmarketing Weiz, Hauptplatz 18, 8160 Weiz,
    T: +43 3172 2319660, tourismus (at) weiz. at, www.tourismus-weiz.at

    X